Saturday, July 17, 2010

Review: STRANGE BEDPERSONS by Jennifer Cruise


I had so much hope for this book when I read the back cover.  This is about a Dharma & Greg type match.  Tess is a liberal activist type who had been raised on a commune and speaks in politically correct terms.  Nick is a Republican lawyer whose main goal in life is to achieve partner in his law firm.  Under the age old rule of “opposites attract,” these two are drawn together. 

The best part about this book is the banter between Tess and Nick.  It can be very funny seeing them going at it over seemingly trivial things.  For example, Tess didn’t speak to Nick for six weeks because he refused to have sex with her in a parking lot.  He didn’t want to harm his career by doing something illegal and she was terrified by the prospect of a future sex-life of conventional sex in beds. 

While this book has some cute moments, I found myself irritated with Tess.  She is tactless and selfish.  She rarely considers Nick’s feelings before acting.  One of my favorite parts of the book was when her best friend Gina called her out on this behavior.  While Tess eventually evolves, I found it hard to stay engaged in her story.  I thought Nick could have done much better, and I didn’t buy his attraction to her. 

Overall, I give Strange Bedpersons

Plot – 2 ½ bookmarks
Character Development – 2 ½ bookmarks (I liked all characters except for Tess.)
Love Story – 1 bookmark (Didn’t buy it.)
Sex Scenes – 2 bookmarks
Dream Cast (otherwise known as who I pictured while reading) – Billy Miller (Nick).  

No comments:

Post a Comment