Sunday, October 10, 2010

Review: DARK VISIONS by LJ Smith


The young adult book is actually a trilogy bound together into one volume.  The main character is Kaitlyn, a seventeen year old, gifted psychic who is feared and ostracized in her school.  Kait is an artist.  She loves to paint and draw.  However, sometimes her hand itches and starts moving on its own.  When that happens, the pictures she makes come true. 

One day, Kait is approached with an offer from a wealthy man in California.  He is running a study of psychic teenagers and would like to recruit her for his project.  She and four other psychic kids from around the country would move to California for the remainder of their senior year and undergo testing after school.  At the end of the study, they will be given a hefty scholarship for college.  The need for college money and the desire to meet other kids like her sends Kait across the country. 

One there, Kait quickly makes friends: Rob is a gorgeous and kind boy who has the powers of healing, Anna is a friendly girl who can talk to and control animals, Lewis is a funny boy who can move objects with his mind…and then there is Gabriel.  Gabriel is a telepath who is hiding the secret that he is also a psychic vampire.  He needs to draw on the life force of others in order to survive. 

The children are not at the institute long before they realize something is wrong.  It seems their sponsor may be using them in an evil plot to use psychics as weapons.  To uncover the truth and stop him, the kids set out on a dangerous journey where their loyalties and friendships are tested.

I loved this book!  Kait is likeable and not annoyingly perfect.  The romantic triangle set up between her, Rob and Gabriel is beautifully done.  I found the story highly original and exciting.  I strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys paranormal YA. 

Overall, I give Dark Visions

Plot – 4 bookmarks
Love Story – 4 ½ bookmarks
Characters – 3 bookmarks
Use of Paranormal Elements – 4 bookmarks
Dream Cast (otherwise known as who I pictured while reading) – Emma Stone (Kait), Hunter Parrish (Rob), Adam Gregory (Gabriel)

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series, but did start on the Vampire Diaries. I sort of stopped reading when the TV series came on. ;) I'm bad.

    Also, love how you have your book on top! As soon as I'm done with three books I have on my gotta read now, I'll start on yours. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion of moving it! Now, it you click on the picture, it will take you to a place to buy it.

    I read the first two books in the Vampire Diaries series and wasn't all that impressed. I didn't find Elena all that like-able. I only picked this series up, because I read a good review of it on Amazon. Glad I gave it a chance!

    ReplyDelete