Saturday, June 19, 2010

Review: “In the Runes: Make Me Remember” by Emma Petersen


I realize I haven’t posted a new review in a while.  This is not because I haven’t been reading (trust me, I read like a fiend), but I happen to be reading a couple of very long books and over-lapping them, which means I am not getting them completed as fast as I should.  Also, I have read a few things which I don’t care to review for various reasons.  Anyway, that is my little explanation for my I’ve been absent. 

In the Runes: Make Me Remember was given to me by Emma Petersen through some drawing I won in a chat room one day.  It is a short erotic romance about two people who meet and realize they have met before.  Hannah is a California doctor who is inexplicably drawn to a volunteer assignment in nowhere South Dakota to treat the poor folk in the Native-American community.  She has a loveless relationship with a fiancé who she plans to marry once her year of service is complete.  One day, the police chief, Gabe, comes into the hospital and they are immediately struck by each other.  It turns out, they were married in a past life where they vowed to each other to reconnect.  Sounds strange, but Petersen tells the story much better than I do, and it works really well. 

There are several things that I liked about this story.  The emotional bond with these characters, both in the present and in the past was vividly described, which made my engagement into their story very strong.  At times, I forgot this was an “erotic” romance because the sex seemed like such an integral part of the relationship and the love.  It didn’t feel gratuitous at all.  I also liked the idea of loving someone so much that you are bonded over multiple lifetimes.  The historic story was filled with tragedy and chaos, so seeing them together in the present truly does feel like a happy ending. 

One of the things I had an issue with in this novella is Hannah’s relationship with her fiancé.  I didn’t get why these people were together at all.  I know the reader is supposed to hate him and root for her hooking up with Gabe, but it seems like there needed to be something redeeming about the man to explain her initial attraction to him.  I didn’t like the mother either.

Overall, I give In the Runes: Make Me Remember…

Plot – 3 ½  bookmarks.  It was truly unique.  On the other hand, since it is only novella length, you can expect sub-plots and deeper elements to suffer. 
Emotional Relationship – 4 bookmarks
Sexual Relationship – 3 bookmarks
Dream Cast (otherwise known as who I pictured while reading) – Chaske Spencer (Gabe), Halle Berry (Hannah)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review Jesilea! I'm so glad you enjoyed Make Me Remember.

    ReplyDelete