Monday, May 31, 2010

Review: “Destined For An Early Grave” by Jeaniene Frost


Last month, I reviewed the first novel in the Night Huntress series called Halfway To the Grave.  You have not have realized this, but I have not been reviewed every book I read.  Since I read a lot of series books, I worry that my reviews might get repetitive if I review each book.  So, forgive me for skipping ahead and reviewing Destined For An Early Grave which is the fourth book in the Night Huntress series. 

Cat & Bones have been married for some time, but even in marriage there are challenges.  Enter an evil, power-hungry vamp named Gregor.  Turns out, Gregor has visions of the future, and he saw how powerful Cat would become a long time ago.  Apparently, when she was sixteen, Gregor glamoured Cat’s mother and whisked her off to Paris to marry her.  Master vamp & Bones grandsire, Mencheres, who also sees the future finds out about Gregor’s plan.  Mencheres rescues the teenage Cat, buries all memory of Gregor and imprisons the evil vamp.  (Are we supposed to overlook the fact that Cat is supposedly immune to vamp glamour?)  Now, over a decade later, Gregor escapes custody and wants his bride back.

Sounds stupid, doesn’t it?  That’s what I thought too.  In fact, I started this book and got distracted by JR Ward and took my time coming back to it.  I do have to say though that it gets better.  By the middle of the book, my emotional investment into the characters was coming back.  By the time it got the scene where Bones leaves Cat, I felt like my heart was getting ripped out.  One thing that Frost does very well is capture the emotion in her characters and Destined For An Early Grave nails it, even if the plot didn’t.

Overall, I give Destined For An Early Grave

Plot – 1 bookmark (Beginning implausible, but some good stuff at the end if you can hold on for it.)
Character Development – 2 ½  bookmarks
Fight Scenes – 3 bookmarks
Love Story – 3 ½ bookmarks (Saved the book in my opinion.)
Dream Cast (otherwise known as who I pictured while reading) – Didn’t change since I reviewed the first book.  The cover model on the book (Cat) & David Anders (Bones).

1 comment:

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete