Sunday, August 22, 2010

Review: SUCCUBUS BLUES by Richelle Mead


After completely falling in love with Rose & Dimitri from Mead’s Vampire Academy books, I decided to check out her adult Succubus series.  Let me just say now, I think I have a writer-crush on Richelle Mead.  She makes me want to hole up with all of her books and not eat or sleep until I have read them all--then when done, read them all over again.  

Succubus Blues introduces the reader to Georgina Kincaid, a succubus trying to live as normal of a life as possible in Seattle… not easy considering she needs sex to live and her closest friends are demons, vampires and one powerful angel.  When she has sex with mortal men, she draws on their life force, giving her the energy to live, yet draining years off of the man’s life.  For this reason, she courts morally ambiguous, bad guys.  Unfortunately, this makes having a relationship with a good guy impossible.  When writer, Seth Mortensen, moves to Seattle and begins frequenting the book store where Georgina works, the chemistry between them is off-the-charts hot.  As much as she likes him, she knows she can never have him without draining his life away.  In turning from Seth, she meets another “good guy,” Roman, who unlike Seth, doesn’t want to take no for an answer.  What’s a succubus to do?

To make matters worse, something is attacking immortals in the Seattle area.  Georgina’s demon boss, Jerome, seems to be hiding something about the attacker.  Georgina wants figure out who the killer is, but each step she takes closer to the truth places her and her friends in greater danger. 

Succubus Blues is the first book in what I know will become another addictive series from Richelle Mead.  I have already started the second book, and I have a feeling I’ll want to read them all straight through. 

Overall, I give Succubus Blues

Plot – 4 bookmarks
Character Development – 4 bookmarks
Love Story – 4 ½ bookmarks (The chemistry Georgina has with men is wild!)
Sex Scenes – 4 bookmarks
Dream Cast (otherwise known as who I pictured while reading) – Ian Somerhalter (Roman), Robert Pattinson (Seth), Sophia Bush (Georgina), Javier Bardem (Jerome – Okay, I know he is described as looking like John Cussak, but I just didn’t get the Cussak vibe from him), Kyle Howard (Doug), Jeremy Piven (Warren)

No comments:

Post a Comment