Friday, August 6, 2010

Review: TRIBUTE by Nora Roberts


Cilla McGowan is the grand-daughter of a movie legend whom died before she was born.  As a former child star herself, she has been constantly compared to the grandmother she never knew.  In an attempt to start a new life away from the glitz of Hollywood, Cilla takes ownership of the neglected Virginian farm house that her grandmother lived, loved and died in.  Through her renovations, Cilla uncovers a mystery from her famous grandmother’s past. 

Ford Sawyer is a graphic novelist and a self-described nerd with a capital “N.”  When Cilla McGowan begins restoring the farm house across the road, he is immediately taken with her.  First, she inspires him to create a new female superhero for his book.  Then, she begins to inspire his heart. 

I am a Hollywood geek.  I love pop culture!  Jeez, my home page is PerezHilton.com…  I love books where characters are somehow involved in the Hollywood life style, even if it’s on the fringes.  In the beginning, that is what drew me to this book.  However, it turned out what held my interest was Ford the nerdy neighbor and his weird little dog, Spock.  If I had a “type” of man, it would be the sexy nerd.  Ford is nice looking, intelligent, extremely witty and adorably self-depreciating.  I think I might be a little bit in love with him! 

I’m also jealous of Cilla (in a good way).  I have always thought becoming a contractor and flipping houses would be the perfect career for me.  I love the idea of turning an eyesore into something beautiful and homey.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about carpentry or actually fixing anything myself.  So, for a little while, I was able to live vicariously though Cilla and her work. 

Now, about the weird little dog named Spock… I am a cat person, but this dog made me want to run out and get a dog like this of my own.  He is so dang adorable!!!  The dog is a perfect nerdy reflection of his owner, and I love that!  Spock alone is worth reading this book. 

Oh, and before I forget, the plot is actually very strong in this novel.  I have been gushing about the characters, but seriously, the mystery is pretty good.  I did figure it out earlier than I would have wanted to, but in no way would I say that it’s predictable. 

Overall, I give Tribute

Plot – 3 ½ bookmarks
Characters – 4 bookmarks
Love Story – 3 bookmarks
Dream Cast (otherwise known as who I pictured while reading) – Alexander Skarsgard (Ford), Anna Torv (Cilla), Grace Kelly (Janet), Blake Lively (Angie)

No comments:

Post a Comment